Valis Fantasm Soldiers

Fantasm Soldiers and Mighty Maidens UNITE!

HomePortalCalendarGalleryFAQSearchRegisterMemberlistUsergroupsLog in

Share | 

Recettear: An Item Shop's Tale

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
RyIII
Valis Fantasm Soldier (Armor: Level 1)

Number of posts : 158
Registration date : 2010-10-02

PostSubject: Recettear: An Item Shop's Tale   Sat 13 Nov 2010, 7:20 pm

In a rare occurrence, a Japanese indie game actually got localized, and damn, it's a good'un.

So, Recettear is a game where you play the owner of an item shop in a stereotypical JRPG world. The setup is that the main character's father took out a huge loan to buy top-notch equipment for his own adventuring career. However, he disappeared after a climactic battle on top of a volcano, and he never did repay a single cent of the loan, passing it on to Recette, his daughter. So, Recette gets a visit from Tear, the collections fairy, informing her that the loan was secured with the house. Rather than evict immediately, Tear suggests that she pay off the loan by opening an item shop on the ground floor.

The basic gameplay is about time, item, and money management. It's played out day by day, and you have to have a certain amount of money by the end of each week, or Recette gets evicted and it's game over. The required money increases with each week, and you have to last for five weeks in the main game.

While your regular source of items are the markets and the merchant guilds, but as you advance people will actually sell you items, which you can usually buy back for something more than half of what they're actually worth. Where you place the items in the shop matters- putting higher-quality or more expensive items by the window will draw in more customers, and customers are more likely to buy items you put up in the window.

Of course, the game has a second component. One of the risky but rewarding ways you can get more items is to hire your own adventurers, kit them out, and go into the dungeons around town to loot them for potential shop inventory. This part of the game plays a bit like a cross between Zelda and Diablo, but unless you've invested in better kit for your employed adventurer, it can be a bit unforgiving. Dying means you can lose a substantial part of your investment, as well as most of the time for that day.

After the main quest is finished, there's actually quite a bit of post-game content, including two bonus dungeons, as well as catching up on any story events you may have missed between Recette and the adventurers that you recruit for the dungeon crawling.

It's a bit of a rarity in that while the game relies on some degree of cuteness for its appeal, it has actual, well-thought-out gameplay behind it- though it might be good to check up on the Steam Forum or such before playing, because there are a couple of important mechanics that the game will lie to you about, such as customer reputation and such. Still, though, the game is available on PC through Steam. All I can really say is that I liked it a great deal.

And I may as well leave you with screenshots, just because. Smile

Not the sharpest knife.

Even the Golems are cute. Smile

Recette: Though, for someone who only comes out at night, you have a really great tan!
Griff: I assure you, human, that this is not a tan.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.youtube.com/user/RiflemanIII
Valis
Administrator/Founder

Male Number of posts : 999
Job : Dreamland
Hobbies : Gamer
Registration date : 2007-07-07

PostSubject: Re: Recettear: An Item Shop's Tale   Sun 05 Dec 2010, 8:33 am

i cant find the download for this LOLI game Razz
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://valisfantasmsoldiers.forumotion.com