Valis Fantasm Soldiers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Valis Fantasm Soldiers

Fantasm Soldiers and Mighty Maidens UNITE!

HomePortalGallerySearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Valis: The Fantasm Soldier - PC Engine English?

Go down 
+3
Lord Adrian
RyIII
ZeckyZeck
7 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
ZeckyZeck
Legend in Training

Number of posts : 13
Registration date : 2011-09-29

Valis: The Fantasm Soldier - PC Engine English? Empty
PostSubject: Valis: The Fantasm Soldier - PC Engine English?   Valis: The Fantasm Soldier - PC Engine English? Icon_minitimeThu 29 Sep 2011, 7:16 pm

Hello, new to the site and to the Valis series, I've read online in some places that the PC Engine version of the game has the best and smoothest gameplay so I decided that I wanted to start with it. However I found out its in Japanese, is there an English version or a translation patch for the PC Engine version?
Back to top Go down
RyIII
Valis Fantasm Soldier (Armor: Level 1)
RyIII

Number of posts : 158
Registration date : 2010-10-02

PostSubject: Re: Valis: The Fantasm Soldier - PC Engine English?   Valis: The Fantasm Soldier - PC Engine English? Icon_minitimeThu 29 Sep 2011, 7:53 pm

ZeckyZeck wrote:
Hello, new to the site and to the Valis series, I've read online in some places that the PC Engine version of the game has the best and smoothest gameplay so I decided that I wanted to start with it. However I found out its in Japanese, is there an English version or a translation patch for the PC Engine version?

None of either. The TCD was more or less over in the US by the time that remake was released, and it's not very patchable considering that all of the dialogue is voiced.
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/user/RiflemanIII
Lord Adrian
Valis Fantasm Soldier (Armor: Level 4)
Lord Adrian

Male Number of posts : 539
Job : video editor and gamer
Hobbies : Drawing, playing the keyboard and playing games.
Registration date : 2010-02-22

PostSubject: Re: Valis: The Fantasm Soldier - PC Engine English?   Valis: The Fantasm Soldier - PC Engine English? Icon_minitimeThu 29 Sep 2011, 7:55 pm

Welcome to the forums cheers .
Sadly there isn't an english patch for the PC version of Valis I (at least not that I know of scratch ). It would have been nice if there was at least an english patch that made english subtitles---THAT would be very useful specially for Valis IV.
Back to top Go down
http://sbcmarine81@yahoo.com
RyIII
RyIII

PostSubject: Re: Valis: The Fantasm Soldier - PC Engine English?   Valis: The Fantasm Soldier - PC Engine English? Icon_minitimeThu 29 Sep 2011, 8:00 pm

Lord Adrian wrote:
Sadly there isn't an english patch for the PC version of Valis I (at least not that I know of scratch ). It would have been nice if there was at least an english patch that made english subtitles---THAT would be very useful specially for Valis IV.

Yeah, my knowledge of Japanese isn't complete enough to bang out something myself- though I do find it a bit amusing that Lena isn't exactly the sharpest tool in the shed, at least at the start.
Back to top Go down
Lord Adrian
Lord Adrian

PostSubject: Re: Valis: The Fantasm Soldier - PC Engine English?   Valis: The Fantasm Soldier - PC Engine English? Icon_minitimeThu 29 Sep 2011, 8:44 pm

RyIII wrote:
Lord Adrian wrote:

Yeah, my knowledge of Japanese isn't complete enough to bang out something myself- though I do find it a bit amusing that Lena isn't exactly the sharpest tool in the shed, at least at the start.

Well----Lena could have gotten lucky and landed a blow on Garugia although the outcome would have been fatal for both Lena and Ahm lol lol .
Back to top Go down
RyIII
RyIII

PostSubject: Re: Valis: The Fantasm Soldier - PC Engine English?   Valis: The Fantasm Soldier - PC Engine English? Icon_minitimeThu 29 Sep 2011, 9:42 pm

Lord Adrian wrote:

Well----Lena could have gotten lucky and landed a blow on Garugia although the outcome would have been fatal for both Lena and Ahm lol lol .

It's more what precedes that. Galgear asks something like "Who do you think you are?", and Lena treats it as a real question, saying exactly who she is- cue Amu's facepalm.
Back to top Go down
Lord Adrian
Lord Adrian

PostSubject: Re: Valis: The Fantasm Soldier - PC Engine English?   Valis: The Fantasm Soldier - PC Engine English? Icon_minitimeThu 29 Sep 2011, 11:43 pm

RyIII wrote:
Lord Adrian wrote:

It's more what precedes that. Galgear asks something like "Who do you think you are?", and Lena treats it as a real question, saying exactly who she is- cue Amu's facepalm.

I take it Lena said something on the lines of "I'm Lena and I'm here to rescue Queen Valna ".

Bold but foolish. Also is Lena older or younger then Ahm ?
Back to top Go down
ZeckyZeck
Legend in Training

PostSubject: Re: Valis: The Fantasm Soldier - PC Engine English?   Valis: The Fantasm Soldier - PC Engine English? Icon_minitimeFri 30 Sep 2011, 12:56 am

Is it possible for me to understand the story by looking at the translated cutscenes of the other versions? Does the PC-Version have any differences?
Back to top Go down
RayguardKnight (SS7)
Valis Fantasm Soldier (Armor: Level 2)
RayguardKnight (SS7)

Male Number of posts : 286
Registration date : 2009-05-15

PostSubject: Re: Valis: The Fantasm Soldier - PC Engine English?   Valis: The Fantasm Soldier - PC Engine English? Icon_minitimeFri 30 Sep 2011, 6:36 am

The Mega Drive version has the same story, but only has a few of the cutscenes. It’s the closest you’ll get to understanding the story, though.

I recommend starting with the Mega Drive version anyway -- the PCE version is essentially a remake of it, after all.
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/user/RayguardKnight
RyIII
RyIII

PostSubject: Re: Valis: The Fantasm Soldier - PC Engine English?   Valis: The Fantasm Soldier - PC Engine English? Icon_minitimeFri 30 Sep 2011, 7:23 am

Lord Adrian wrote:

I take it Lena said something on the lines of "I'm Lena and I'm here to rescue Queen Valna ".

More specifically: "I'm Lena Brande, soldier of the resistance."

And Amu is the older sister of the two. She's also rather commonly uses the "sarcasm" tone that's often used in anime when she asides after things that Lena says. My guess is that her reasons for tagging along generally amount to "making sure Lena doesn't hurt herself". Not that Lena isn't a ridiculous badass anyway, considering she pulls a Sun Wukong in how she basically fights her way into heaven with a regular sword.
Back to top Go down
ZeckyZeck
Legend in Training

PostSubject: Re: Valis: The Fantasm Soldier - PC Engine English?   Valis: The Fantasm Soldier - PC Engine English? Icon_minitimeFri 30 Sep 2011, 10:56 am

SuperSailor7 wrote:
The Mega Drive version has the same story, but only has a few of the cutscenes. It’s the closest you’ll get to understanding the story, though.

I recommend starting with the Mega Drive version anyway -- the PCE version is essentially a remake of it, after all.

How's the gameplay compared to the PCE version? Also, anyone got a link to the translated cutscenes for Valis I? All I can find are youtube links to cutscenes of II, III and IV. Thanks for all the replies.
Back to top Go down
RayguardKnight (SS7)
RayguardKnight (SS7)

PostSubject: Re: Valis: The Fantasm Soldier - PC Engine English?   Valis: The Fantasm Soldier - PC Engine English? Icon_minitimeFri 30 Sep 2011, 12:21 pm

Both versions are good, but personally I prefer the MD version. I find the PCE version’s gameplay more linear among other things.

ZeckyZeck wrote:
Also, anyone got a link to the translated cutscenes for Valis I?

You mean the MD version? I don’t think there are any videos with just the cutscenes. If no one else can come up with a link I’ll upload a video of them later.
Back to top Go down
ZeckyZeck
Legend in Training

PostSubject: Re: Valis: The Fantasm Soldier - PC Engine English?   Valis: The Fantasm Soldier - PC Engine English? Icon_minitimeFri 30 Sep 2011, 12:36 pm

SuperSailor7 wrote:
If no one else can come up with a link I’ll upload a video of them later.
That would be helpful. I tried both versions, though just a few levels, and both had decent gameplay though I have to say I prefer the taller/slimmer sprite Yuko had in the PC-Engine version.
Back to top Go down
Lord Adrian
Lord Adrian

PostSubject: Re: Valis: The Fantasm Soldier - PC Engine English?   Valis: The Fantasm Soldier - PC Engine English? Icon_minitimeFri 30 Sep 2011, 12:42 pm

RyIII wrote:
Lord Adrian wrote:

More specifically: "I'm Lena Brande, soldier of the resistance."

And Amu is the older sister of the two. She's also rather commonly uses the "sarcasm" tone that's often used in anime when she asides after things that Lena says. My guess is that her reasons for tagging along generally amount to "making sure Lena doesn't hurt herself". Not that Lena isn't a ridiculous badass anyway, considering she pulls a Sun Wukong in how she basically fights her way into heaven with a regular sword.

Ahhhhhhh I see....I always thought Ahm was the youngest but as an older sister Lena now has burdon to carry on without her and without Ahm guidance and support plus being the youngest and accepting a responsibility that's over Lena head, it could cause her to become an emotional wreak.....I can work with this and I don't have to make to much of a change to my plot...Thanks man this really helped out alot Chu .
Back to top Go down
RayguardKnight (SS7)
RayguardKnight (SS7)

PostSubject: Re: Valis: The Fantasm Soldier - PC Engine English?   Valis: The Fantasm Soldier - PC Engine English? Icon_minitimeFri 30 Sep 2011, 12:54 pm

ZeckyZeck wrote:
SuperSailor7 wrote:
If no one else can come up with a link I’ll upload a video of them later.
That would be helpful. I tried both versions, though just a few levels, and both had decent gameplay though I have to say I prefer the taller/slimmer sprite Yuko had in the PC-Engine version.

Yeah, the PCE sprites look way better for sure! No question about that Smile

Lord Adrian wrote:
I always thought Ahm was the youngest but as an older sister Lena now has a burden to carry on without her and without Ahm guidance and support plus being the youngest and accepting a responsibility that's over Lena head, it could cause her to become an emotional wreak...

That’s news to me, I thought Amu was the youngest as well! Shocked

It was probably mentioned before but I never took note of it... but now my ignorance has been vanquished pirat
Back to top Go down
Lord Adrian
Lord Adrian

PostSubject: Re: Valis: The Fantasm Soldier - PC Engine English?   Valis: The Fantasm Soldier - PC Engine English? Icon_minitimeFri 30 Sep 2011, 1:02 pm

[quote="SuperSailor7"]
SuperSailor7 wrote:

That’s news to me, I thought Amu was the youngest as well! Shocked

It was probably mentioned before but I never took note of it... but now my ignorance has been vanquished pirat

In some way it makes since for Lena to be in a shell so to speak, she has no family (at far as I know of), she has no mentor or someone to look up to, no emotional support and now she's a Valis Warrior with the world on her shoulders and alone...I'd be emotionly sick if I was her.
Back to top Go down
RyIII
RyIII

PostSubject: Re: Valis: The Fantasm Soldier - PC Engine English?   Valis: The Fantasm Soldier - PC Engine English? Icon_minitimeFri 30 Sep 2011, 1:11 pm

Lord Adrian wrote:

Ahhhhhhh I see....I always thought Ahm was the youngest but as an older sister Lena now has burdon to carry on without her and without Ahm guidance and support plus being the youngest and accepting a responsibility that's over Lena head, it could cause her to become an emotional wreak.....I can work with this and I don't have to make to much of a change to my plot...Thanks man this really helped out alot Chu .

The thing that really tipped be off and caused me to look into it was the fact that Amu's dialogue is generally concise, and delivered with a cool, world-weary edge that's common to older-sibling characters in anime. Even if it wasn't actually stated anywhere, it's fairly obvious she's meant to be the older, or at least more mature member of the pair.

Do keep in mind, however, that right after Amu died, Lena went out and not only pulverized Galgear but also broke the Valis Universe's equivalent of the One Ring. She's a far less passive character than Yuko was, and generally has Kenshiro-like responses to adversity. And also don't forget that Cham was Lena's superior and something of a caretaker, as in the opening cutscene she refused to let Lena go out and fight against Galgear's overwheliming forces until Yuko intervened.

SuperSailor7 wrote:
It was probably mentioned before but I never took note of it... but now my ignorance has been vanquished. :pirate:

Well, it's not like I pulled that out of my ass when writing Brotherhood. Smile
Back to top Go down
Lord Adrian
Lord Adrian

PostSubject: Re: Valis: The Fantasm Soldier - PC Engine English?   Valis: The Fantasm Soldier - PC Engine English? Icon_minitimeFri 30 Sep 2011, 1:37 pm

[quote="RyIII"]
Lord Adrian wrote:

The thing that really tipped be off and caused me to look into it was the fact that Amu's dialogue is generally concise, and delivered with a cool, world-weary edge that's common to older-sibling characters in anime. Even if it wasn't actually stated anywhere, it's fairly obvious she's meant to be the older, or at least more mature member of the pair.

Do keep in mind, however, that right after Amu died, Lena went out and not only pulverized Galgear but also broke the Valis Universe's equivalent of the One Ring. She's a far less passive character than Yuko was, and generally has Kenshiro-like responses to adversity. And also don't forget that Cham was Lena's superior and something of a caretaker, as in the opening cutscene she refused to let Lena go out and fight against Galgear's overwheliming forces until Yuko intervened.

Even with this new information you provided I don't have to change to (or any) to my story, maybe make Cham and Lena form a closer bond (but NOT TO CLOSE of a bond, basicly make Cham a new "Big Sister" to Lena while Lena is having some coping problems due to losing a family member) and have the two form a closer friendship (again not TO CLOSE). Again I really don't have to change that much on my project. This has really been helpful...Now if I just need to figure out weither Lena forgave Garugia or at the end she feels cheated out of revenge when Asfal forgave Garugia .
Back to top Go down
RyIII
RyIII

PostSubject: Re: Valis: The Fantasm Soldier - PC Engine English?   Valis: The Fantasm Soldier - PC Engine English? Icon_minitimeFri 30 Sep 2011, 1:54 pm

Lord Adrian wrote:
Again I really don't have to change that much on my project. This has really been helpful...Now if I just need to figure out weither Lena forgave Garugia or at the end she feels cheated out of revenge when Asfal forgave Garugia .

Well, considering that Lena helped bury Galgear and even set his grave marker, I can't imagine the feelings were too hard. She also knew at that point (at least) that Galgear had been driven mad by the power of the ring and wasn't of his own mind- Even though I'm fairly sure Asfal told her the whole story, she did see how quickly he reverted to his original self after she defeated him and destroyed the ring.
Back to top Go down
Lord Adrian
Lord Adrian

PostSubject: Re: Valis: The Fantasm Soldier - PC Engine English?   Valis: The Fantasm Soldier - PC Engine English? Icon_minitimeFri 30 Sep 2011, 3:42 pm

RyIII wrote:
Lord Adrian wrote:
Again I really don't have to change that much on my project. This has really been helpful...Now if I just need to figure out weither Lena forgave Garugia or at the end she feels cheated out of revenge when Asfal forgave Garugia .

Well, considering that Lena helped bury Galgear and even set his grave marker, I can't imagine the feelings were too hard. She also knew at that point (at least) that Galgear had been driven mad by the power of the ring and wasn't of his own mind- Even though I'm fairly sure Asfal told her the whole story, she did see how quickly he reverted to his original self after she defeated him and destroyed the ring.

Only one thing---I don't think that grave at the end of the game was Garugia I beleve it was Ahm .
1: I think at the ending the red moon splits in to two moons (one moon represents Asfal the other Garugia ).
2: Ahm bird was perched on the grave marker then flew out as a way of showing Ahm soul flying away or somethng like that.
3: I don't think Lena would show Garugia any kind of honor for to killing her sister reguardless if she forgave him or not. Plus the ending shows her paying her final respects to the grave sight then heading off with an angry blank look on her face as scene here.

That's the face of someone who's hurt and angrey. The kind of expression one shows after they left their loved ones grave. If the grave was Garugia I don't think she would be that upset looking unless she was felt cheated out of revenge, but if she forgave him...IDK if it where me I wouldn't be paying my final respects to my enemy specially someone who just murdered my only remaining family member...but that's just me.
Back to top Go down
RyIII
RyIII

PostSubject: Re: Valis: The Fantasm Soldier - PC Engine English?   Valis: The Fantasm Soldier - PC Engine English? Icon_minitimeFri 30 Sep 2011, 4:09 pm

Lord Adrian wrote:

That's the face of someone who's hurt and angrey. The kind of expression one shows after they left their loved ones grave. If the grave was Garugia I don't think she would be that upset looking unless she was felt cheated out of revenge, but if she forgave him...IDK if it where me I wouldn't be paying my final respects to my enemy specially someone who just murdered my only remaining family member...but that's just me.

Well, what you would do is rather immaterial in this instance- and either way, she wasn't really cheated of her revenge considering she's the one who personally murderized him anyway. In heroic stories, bloody-handed vengeance is really just the sixth stage of grief. Smile

Secondly, female characters are generally shown to emote more overtly in these kinds of productions- that's far too subtle to be much more than generic determination.
Back to top Go down
RayguardKnight (SS7)
RayguardKnight (SS7)

PostSubject: Re: Valis: The Fantasm Soldier - PC Engine English?   Valis: The Fantasm Soldier - PC Engine English? Icon_minitimeFri 30 Sep 2011, 7:37 pm

All four Mega Drive cutscenes complete with original painfully-slow text Mad

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GTwNXWoqQlo
Back to top Go down
Lord Adrian
Lord Adrian

PostSubject: Re: Valis: The Fantasm Soldier - PC Engine English?   Valis: The Fantasm Soldier - PC Engine English? Icon_minitimeFri 30 Sep 2011, 8:06 pm

SuperSailor7 wrote:

and with l i t t l e m o n e y...

Spoiler:

Last edited by Lord Adrian on Fri 30 Sep 2011, 8:43 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
RyIII
RyIII

PostSubject: Re: Valis: The Fantasm Soldier - PC Engine English?   Valis: The Fantasm Soldier - PC Engine English? Icon_minitimeFri 30 Sep 2011, 8:32 pm

SuperSailor7 wrote:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GTwNXWoqQlo

Another proud Valis Tradition- PC98/MSX2 Valis II is the first game I know of that has more cutscene time on the clock than play time.
Back to top Go down
ZeckyZeck
Legend in Training

PostSubject: Re: Valis: The Fantasm Soldier - PC Engine English?   Valis: The Fantasm Soldier - PC Engine English? Icon_minitimeFri 30 Sep 2011, 11:04 pm

SuperSailor7 wrote:
Thanks man, you rock! cheers
Back to top Go down
evilReiko
Dark Valis Soldier
evilReiko

Male Number of posts : 1050
Hobbies : Escape..
Registration date : 2007-07-08

PostSubject: Re: Valis: The Fantasm Soldier - PC Engine English?   Valis: The Fantasm Soldier - PC Engine English? Icon_minitimeSat 01 Oct 2011, 4:40 am

Who said Ahm is the elder twin wtf I know that they're twins, but this new to me!
I mean, what's the evidence she's the elder twin?
Back to top Go down
http://www.evilreiko.com/
RyIII
RyIII

PostSubject: Re: Valis: The Fantasm Soldier - PC Engine English?   Valis: The Fantasm Soldier - PC Engine English? Icon_minitimeSat 01 Oct 2011, 8:17 am

Well, I'm willing to fully admit that I've been terribly wrong.

I took another listen to the Valis IV cutscenes, and there around 3-4 instances where Amu refers to Lena as "Lena nii-san", which is standard form for referring to an older sibling. I guess an understanding of centuries of Japanese dramatic convention just plum didn't work out this time. Smile

Looks like Brotherhood is due for yet another round of editing to reflect this.

Also, on further review, and a good bit of work, Lena's last words in the game were actually a rather tearful and respectful form of farewell to Galgear, but the preceding line, "Kore wa Valis no Senshi na Shikumeka(?)" would provide the real clue- I've been going over it again and again, and the last part (marked with a question could have many different meanings depending on the different combinations of characters that make it up, and it would even depend on whether Lena is asking it as a question. it would be the difference between "Is this" and "This is", which changes the tone considerably- the 'best fits' I could come up with right now are "Is this the Valis Soldier's worth?" Or "This is the Valis Soldier's worth." until I can undo the tangle of the last set of characters. Still, though, you get either regret or resignation.

If I had to give a more tentative complete translation, it would likely be "Is this the Soldier of Valis's worth, a bringer(maker?) of death?", but I wouldn't take that as gospel.
Back to top Go down
gorori
Vecanti Soldier
gorori

Male Number of posts : 81
Hobbies : I would like to give up creation to tell the truth.
Registration date : 2009-09-01

PostSubject: Re: Valis: The Fantasm Soldier - PC Engine English?   Valis: The Fantasm Soldier - PC Engine English? Icon_minitimeSat 01 Oct 2011, 2:10 pm

to evilReiko
Lena age 16
Ahm age 14
--------
to RyIII

Kore wa Valis no Senshi na Shikumeka(?)"
--
kore ga Valis no Senshi no shukumeika?

This is the Valis Soldier's sad fate.
Back to top Go down
http://barrier.sakura.ne.jp/exceedeng/Top.html
RyIII
RyIII

PostSubject: Re: Valis: The Fantasm Soldier - PC Engine English?   Valis: The Fantasm Soldier - PC Engine English? Icon_minitimeSat 01 Oct 2011, 2:52 pm

gorori wrote:

to RyIII

--

Well, at least I admitted I was wrong/might be totally wrong. Smile
Back to top Go down
evilReiko
Dark Valis Soldier
evilReiko

Male Number of posts : 1050
Hobbies : Escape..
Registration date : 2007-07-08

PostSubject: Re: Valis: The Fantasm Soldier - PC Engine English?   Valis: The Fantasm Soldier - PC Engine English? Icon_minitimeSun 02 Oct 2011, 6:16 am

gorori wrote:
to evilReiko
Lena age 16
Ahm age 14
--------
to RyIII

--

Now we have numbers! Very interesting Gorori! Very Happy
Where did you get this piece of information from??
Back to top Go down
http://www.evilreiko.com/
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Valis: The Fantasm Soldier - PC Engine English?   Valis: The Fantasm Soldier - PC Engine English? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Valis: The Fantasm Soldier - PC Engine English?
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next