Valis Fantasm Soldiers

Fantasm Soldiers and Mighty Maidens UNITE!
 
HomePortalCalendarGalleryFAQSearchRegisterMemberlistUsergroupsLog in

Share | 
 

 Games to Movies

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3
AuthorMessage
Mako Crab
Legend in Training
avatar

Number of posts : 19
Age : 38
Registration date : 2010-06-02

PostSubject: Re: Games to Movies   Thu 03 Jun 2010, 11:54 pm

I really like the first Resident Evil movie. I liked that they kept the spirit of the games while using an original group of characters. At first, I was pissed, but when I actually saw the movie- it was pretty good.

RE2 was awful. RE3 was worse. I'm not even going to bother seeing RE4.

The CGI RE movie, Degeneration, is okay. Not great, but okay. I was really looking forward to the moment when Leon and Claire would meet again after so many years, and when it finally came, all they did was glance at each other and say, "Hi. Now moving on..." It left me feeling pretty deflated. It's the best RE movie out there after the first live action movie, but still kind of disappointing.

I've got one for you all though. DOA: Dead or Alive! Don't let any reviews mislead you into thinking this movie sucks! It's a straight-up, cheesey, cornball popcorn movie and it knows it! Everything is tongue in cheek and you can tell the people that made it were just having a hell of a lot of fun. The fights are great, and it's just a lot of fun. I read one review where the person was complaining that the girls in the movie didn't have giant boobs like in the games, to which I say- grow the hell up. Movie is just plain fun and awesome.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://valisfantasmsoldiers.forumotion.com
evilReiko
Dark Valis Soldier
avatar

Male Number of posts : 1051
Age : 31
Location : Darkest region of DarkWorld
Hobbies : Escape..
Registration date : 2007-07-08

PostSubject: Re: Games to Movies   Fri 04 Jun 2010, 12:58 am

RE1 & 2 the games are great Smile the RE1 the movie is nice Smile
The rest of RE games and movies sucks (IMO).. just because they went out of the main plot (I mean.. zombies), fighting infected birds and dogs, monsters, rebels in africa... is just not... resident evil anymore fear

Mako Crab wrote:
RE2 was awful. RE3 was worse. I'm not even going to bother seeing RE4.

For me, after watching RE2 the movie, I didn't watch RE3 lol now the trailer of RE4 is unbelievablely aweful... girls in mistress-dresses, with ninja weapons fighting zombies?! huh just think about it. That's Stupid huh

And if you try to hear some lines from trailers, it sounds like porn movie "I'll come for you" huh what? you're going to have sex with me? no thx huh
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.evilreiko.com/
The Red Spectra
Valis Fantasm Soldier (Armor: Level 3)
avatar

Male Number of posts : 351
Age : 34
Location : NYC
Job : Messenger/Clerk.
Hobbies : Music. Cats. Anime. Roller Derby. Retro Gaming.
Registration date : 2007-08-27

PostSubject: Re: Games to Movies   Fri 04 Jun 2010, 1:01 am

Nowadays, I use Street Fighter: The Legend of Chun Li as a way to gauge how bad a movie (video game adaptation or not) is.

Right now...nothing is as bad as that. Nothing.

I'm probably going to get dragged to the new RE movie by a friend...I just have that feeling. Ha ha.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://muchosugoi.blogspot.com
Lord Adrian
Valis Fantasm Soldier (Armor: Level 4)
avatar

Male Number of posts : 538
Age : 36
Location : Blanchard Oklahoma
Job : cartoonist/editor and gamer
Hobbies : Drawing, playing the keyboard and playing games.
Registration date : 2010-02-22

PostSubject: Re: Games to Movies   Fri 04 Jun 2010, 11:35 am

I wander if any of these games would make a good movie.

1: Leisure Suit Larry.

2: King's Quest.

3: Space Quest.

4: Myst (this would be a must see---if done right).

5: The Legend of Zelda.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://sbcmarine81@yahoo.com
Lord Adrian
Valis Fantasm Soldier (Armor: Level 4)
avatar

Male Number of posts : 538
Age : 36
Location : Blanchard Oklahoma
Job : cartoonist/editor and gamer
Hobbies : Drawing, playing the keyboard and playing games.
Registration date : 2010-02-22

PostSubject: Re: Games to Movies   Fri 04 Jun 2010, 11:41 am

Mako Crab wrote:

I've got one for you all though. DOA: Dead or Alive! Don't let any reviews mislead you into thinking this movie sucks! It's a straight-up, cheesey, cornball popcorn movie and it knows it! Everything is tongue in cheek and you can tell the people that made it were just having a hell of a lot of fun. The fights are great, and it's just a lot of fun. I read one review where the person was complaining that the girls in the movie didn't have giant boobs like in the games, to which I say- grow the hell up. Movie is just plain fun and awesome.

I have DoA the Movie and I agree it was a decent film, some of the stunts and fight scenes where cool and the reference to Extreme Beach Volleyball was cool too----BTW I do like DoA: Extreme Beach Volleyball 2 (or Paradise on psp), Lisa, Tina and Hitomi are my favorite characters.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://sbcmarine81@yahoo.com
iannafei
Valis Fantasm Soldier (Armor: Level 1)
avatar

Female Number of posts : 174
Age : 41
Registration date : 2008-04-23

PostSubject: Re: Games to Movies   Sat 05 Jun 2010, 2:30 am

'scuse the lengthy of this post, 'cause I kind of have a bit to say on this topic.

The Red Spectra wrote:
Nowadays, I use Street Fighter: The Legend of Chun Li as a way to gauge how bad a movie (video game adaptation or not) is.

Right now...nothing is as bad as that. Nothing.

I have to respectively disagree with that. Street Fighter: The Legend of Chun Li is certainly A LOT better than any Uwe "I make Ed Wood look like a freakin' Oscar Winner" Boll movie. I mean, Legend of Chun Li wasn't too bad. Hoolies, it was certainly a little more bit (emphasis on "little bit") more faithful to the Street Fighter mythos than the original live action Street Fighter movie (I mean...hello! Street Fighter is about RYU and KEN...not Guile!)

But Uwe Boll's movies (House of the Dead, Alone in the Dark, Bloodrayne 1 & 2, Postal...with the exception of Dungeon Seige: In the Name of the King, which wasn't too bad 'cause it had Jason "The Transporter" Statham in it) were HORRIBLE in comparison . (BTW, if you want an idea HOW bad Mr. Boll's flicks are, watch this review of Alone in the Dark.

Quote :
I'm probably going to get dragged to the new RE movie by a friend...I just have that feeling. Ha ha.

I'm probably going to end up seeing that flick myself with my bro. However, I swear this one looks more like a sequel to UltraViolet than to Resident Evil. The first Resident Evil movie was good (hey, I can live with a character that wasn't in any of the RE games, but it does sort of add to the mythos). RE2 was bad though. I liked RE3 a little better, but not as good as the first, plus they made Alice too much of a Mary Sue.

DOA wasn't bad. The only problems I had were the potrayals of Helena (she's supposed to be a Rich rhymes-with-witch, not a Britney Spears teeny bopper roller skating wanna-be) and Christy (who wasn't "cold" enough).

Oh...as far as other video game movies conserned, I liked the original Mortal Kombat movie, as well as Silent Hill (even though they changed the gender of the lead character). Oh, and speaking of DOA, I also liked the Japanese-made video game movie Oneechanbara (imagine a cross between DOA and Resident Evil, and you'd get that), which was pretty good.

Anyway, the worst video game flick (Uwe Boll movies aside) that I've ever seen was Double Dragon. I mean, it was NOTHING like the games, and the dialogue was stupid. I mean, when the Saturday Morning cartoon version of the source material that your flick is based upon is WAY better than your movie, you definitely have problems.

Well, there you have it. Besides, I feel that video game based anime seem to fair way better than their live-action counter parts. Then again, that is another topic altogether. Wink
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://mvgaea.livejournal.com
Mako Crab
Legend in Training
avatar

Number of posts : 19
Age : 38
Registration date : 2010-06-02

PostSubject: Re: Games to Movies   Sun 06 Jun 2010, 7:06 am

iannafei wrote:

But Uwe Boll's movies
I find it funny that the man gets so upset when people say that he's the worst filmmaker alive today. It makes it sound as though he actually cares what he puts up on the screen, and we all know that's not true. I was watching "House of the Dead" on TV once and when I saw the first shot of video game footage incorporated into the movie, I burst out laughing. You know the budget's completely gone when you have to substitute digital zombies getting shot up for real actors.

Quote :
DOA wasn't bad. The only problems I had were the potrayals of Helena (she's supposed to be a Rich rhymes-with-witch, not a Britney Spears teeny bopper roller skating wanna-be) and Christy (who wasn't "cold" enough).
I saw the movie before I played the games, so the opposite is true for me. To me the movie portrayal was the right one and the games are just too different. Razz

Quote :
Oh...as far as other video game movies conserned, I liked the original Mortal Kombat movie, as well as Silent Hill (even though they changed the gender of the lead character).
Same here. The 1st MK was plenty of good fun.
Silent Hill I think may be the best movie based on a video game so far... but DOA really is a lot of fun. Very Happy I don't mind so much that they changed the protragonist of SH from Harry Mason to Rose, but I didn't like the director's reasoning. He said that he was playing through the original game and realized that Harry acted like a woman. I'm sorry, but men can show concern for their children when they go missing too. F**cking @$$hole. *grr*

Quote :
Anyway, the worst video game flick (Uwe Boll movies aside) that I've ever seen was Double Dragon.
OMG yes. I only caught the last 10 or 15 minutes of this on TV, but it was awful! I couldn't believe that Robert Patrick went straight from being the T-1000 in Terminator 2, quite possibly one of the most awesome, most high-profile action movies ever made, to starring as the bad guy in Double Dragon, one of the worst movies ever made. And I can't believe that one of the Lee brothers is now the chairman on Iron Chef America! WTF?? He's much better on Iron Chef though, where his hamminess is appreciated. Smile I've never dared to sit through the whole movie. Maybe if I'm feeling masochistic one day.

What about the Tomb Raider movies? I liked the first one. It was alright enough. The 2nd one was okay, but felt kind of long and the monsters at the end didn't really impress me much.

And for the record, the best movie ever made based on a game was Clue. Not a video game, but still one of my favorite movies of all time.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://valisfantasmsoldiers.forumotion.com
Lord Adrian
Valis Fantasm Soldier (Armor: Level 4)
avatar

Male Number of posts : 538
Age : 36
Location : Blanchard Oklahoma
Job : cartoonist/editor and gamer
Hobbies : Drawing, playing the keyboard and playing games.
Registration date : 2010-02-22

PostSubject: Re: Games to Movies   Sun 06 Jun 2010, 1:21 pm

Mako Crab wrote:


What about the Tomb Raider movies? I liked the first one. It was alright enough. The 2nd one was okay, but felt kind of long and the monsters at the end didn't really impress me much.

And for the record, the best movie ever made based on a game was Clue. Not a video game, but still one of my favorite movies of all time.

I thought the Tomb Raider movies where alright---sadly I don't even remember the first film, all that shows on cable is the second film.

Clue was a fun movie, I even like the muti endings.
Spoiler:
 

Now Tron is a great movie ( I need to find it on DVD again) and I'm looking forward to the new Tron 2 movie What a Face .
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://sbcmarine81@yahoo.com
The Red Spectra
Valis Fantasm Soldier (Armor: Level 3)
avatar

Male Number of posts : 351
Age : 34
Location : NYC
Job : Messenger/Clerk.
Hobbies : Music. Cats. Anime. Roller Derby. Retro Gaming.
Registration date : 2007-08-27

PostSubject: Re: Games to Movies   Sun 06 Jun 2010, 1:50 pm

iannafei wrote:
'scuse the lengthy of this post, 'cause I kind of have a bit to say on this topic.

The Red Spectra wrote:
Nowadays, I use Street Fighter: The Legend of Chun Li as a way to gauge how bad a movie (video game adaptation or not) is.

Right now...nothing is as bad as that. Nothing.

I have to respectively disagree with that. Street Fighter: The Legend of Chun Li is certainly A LOT better than any Uwe "I make Ed Wood look like a freakin' Oscar Winner" Boll movie. I mean, Legend of Chun Li wasn't too bad. Hoolies, it was certainly a little more bit (emphasis on "little bit") more faithful to the Street Fighter mythos than the original live action Street Fighter movie (I mean...hello! Street Fighter is about RYU and KEN...not Guile!)

But Uwe Boll's movies (House of the Dead, Alone in the Dark, Bloodrayne 1 & 2, Postal...with the exception of Dungeon Seige: In the Name of the King, which wasn't too bad 'cause it had Jason "The Transporter" Statham in it) were HORRIBLE in comparison . (BTW, if you want an idea HOW bad Mr. Boll's flicks are, watch this review of Alone in the Dark.

I actually HATE Uwe Boll and his films with all my heart. His films are complete and utter garbage...and yet somehow I felt like SF:LoCL was even worse than that.

I just feel like, that movie set a new standard for shit.

And, yay, That Guy With The Glasses is an awesome site! And on the subject of that, he did a review of the Double Dragon movie; it's pretty spot on. Ha ha.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://muchosugoi.blogspot.com
Mako Crab
Legend in Training
avatar

Number of posts : 19
Age : 38
Registration date : 2010-06-02

PostSubject: Re: Games to Movies   Sun 06 Jun 2010, 2:50 pm

I just watched his Double Dragon review, and he sounds like me whenever I rant about that movie! How do you screw up the plot of the games?

Gang kidnaps Marion. Lee brothers beat up everyone in their path to get Marion back. Done. Take that basic plot and build on it. Not hard.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://valisfantasmsoldiers.forumotion.com
The Red Spectra
Valis Fantasm Soldier (Armor: Level 3)
avatar

Male Number of posts : 351
Age : 34
Location : NYC
Job : Messenger/Clerk.
Hobbies : Music. Cats. Anime. Roller Derby. Retro Gaming.
Registration date : 2007-08-27

PostSubject: Re: Games to Movies   Sun 13 Jun 2010, 1:26 am

Mako Crab wrote:
I just watched his Double Dragon review, and he sounds like me whenever I rant about that movie! How do you screw up the plot of the games?

Gang kidnaps Marion. Lee brothers beat up everyone in their path to get Marion back. Done. Take that basic plot and build on it. Not hard.

Hollywood does this thing where they take a simple plot (that works as is) and mess it up by trying to give it more depth.

Double Dragon should have been 2 hours of 2 guys fighting a whole bunch of other guys to save a lady. That's it.


Last edited by The Red Spectra on Fri 18 Jun 2010, 3:52 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://muchosugoi.blogspot.com
evilReiko
Dark Valis Soldier
avatar

Male Number of posts : 1051
Age : 31
Location : Darkest region of DarkWorld
Hobbies : Escape..
Registration date : 2007-07-08

PostSubject: Re: Games to Movies   Sun 13 Jun 2010, 3:57 am

The Red Spectra wrote:
Hollywood does this thing where they take a simple plot (that works as is) and mess it up by trying to give it more depth.

Double Dragon should have been 2 hours of s guys fighting other guys to save a lady. That's it.

lol lol lol lol lol lol! lol! lol! lol!

... and they end-up with "fighting for justice" most of the time lol lol lol
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.evilreiko.com/
Mako Crab
Legend in Training
avatar

Number of posts : 19
Age : 38
Registration date : 2010-06-02

PostSubject: Re: Games to Movies   Sun 13 Jun 2010, 7:07 pm

The Double Dragon movie annoyed me so much, that I took a crack at whipping up a plot synopsis for my own take on it back when I was in a screenwriting class. I called it "Knuckle Brothers" to avoid copyright infringement! But anyone that knew anything would be staring at the screen in awe, saying, "this is Double Dragon! " through the whole movie. Very Happy

It was actually a lot of fun. We already have the basic, paper-thin plot, so the rest was character development, and that's always good.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://valisfantasmsoldiers.forumotion.com
The Red Spectra
Valis Fantasm Soldier (Armor: Level 3)
avatar

Male Number of posts : 351
Age : 34
Location : NYC
Job : Messenger/Clerk.
Hobbies : Music. Cats. Anime. Roller Derby. Retro Gaming.
Registration date : 2007-08-27

PostSubject: Re: Games to Movies   Fri 18 Jun 2010, 3:47 pm

Mako Crab wrote:
The Double Dragon movie annoyed me so much, that I took a crack at whipping up a plot synopsis for my own take on it back when I was in a screenwriting class. I called it "Knuckle Brothers" to avoid copyright infringement! But anyone that knew anything would be staring at the screen in awe, saying, "this is Double Dragon! " through the whole movie. Very Happy

It was actually a lot of fun. We already have the basic, paper-thin plot, so the rest was character development, and that's always good.

I would so see a movie called "Knuckle Brothers."
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://muchosugoi.blogspot.com
kimerajamm
School Student
avatar

Number of posts : 3
Age : 27
Registration date : 2010-08-05

PostSubject: Re: Games to Movies   Thu 05 Aug 2010, 6:30 am

I hate when they have a great video game and they make a movie on it and it's totally different! It's like.. what's the point?! Alice was not in one video game. I agree, I wish they could remake the first RE movie and have Jill, Chris, and everyone else in The Spencer Mansion. That would make a great movie! I wish it could be like the SH movie because it's so much like the video game just except for a couple of things. So yes, the RE movie should be changed from the start to the end and actually have the same story that the first RE game had.


.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://nintendovn.com
Lord Adrian
Valis Fantasm Soldier (Armor: Level 4)
avatar

Male Number of posts : 538
Age : 36
Location : Blanchard Oklahoma
Job : cartoonist/editor and gamer
Hobbies : Drawing, playing the keyboard and playing games.
Registration date : 2010-02-22

PostSubject: Re: Games to Movies   Thu 05 Aug 2010, 2:58 pm

kimerajamm wrote:
I hate when they have a great video game and they make a movie on it and it's totally different! It's like.. what's the point?! Alice was not in one video game. I agree, I wish they could remake the first RE movie and have Jill, Chris, and everyone else in The Spencer Mansion. That would make a great movie! I wish it could be like the SH movie because it's so much like the video game just except for a couple of things. So yes, the RE movie should be changed from the start to the end and actually have the same story that the first RE game had.


.

I totally agree with you, I didn't care for the "alternet universe" of Resident Evil. The only good RE movie that keep with the game's timeline was the RE CG movie Degeneration.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://sbcmarine81@yahoo.com
The Red Spectra
Valis Fantasm Soldier (Armor: Level 3)
avatar

Male Number of posts : 351
Age : 34
Location : NYC
Job : Messenger/Clerk.
Hobbies : Music. Cats. Anime. Roller Derby. Retro Gaming.
Registration date : 2007-08-27

PostSubject: Re: Games to Movies   Fri 06 Aug 2010, 12:54 am

So, last week, I saw the POSTAL movie at a store.

The only thing on that DVD that would probably be watchable is one of the special features where it looks like it's the footage of Uwe Boll boxing against one of his critics. I'm hoping it's that. No...I'm really, really, really hoping that it's that.

For those of you who don't know, a few years ago, Uwe Boll posted a challenge to any critics who gave him unsatisfactory reviews to a boxing match. This one critic from some site (I forget which) challenged him. Now, here's the funny part: Apparently, Uwe Boll is like, a champion boxer in his homeland. The critic didn't know and was beaten pretty bad. Ha.

It's the only remotely cool thing he's ever done.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://muchosugoi.blogspot.com
Sponsored content




PostSubject: Re: Games to Movies   

Back to top Go down
 
Games to Movies
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 3 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3
 Similar topics
-
» Nintendo Attempts to block video game pirating
» Eastside Games and Cards Slow Grow League
» Black Powder from Warlord Games
» Newport Games Updates for Week Ending June 19th.
» Newport Games Now Carries Corvus Belli 15mm 100 Years War

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Valis Fantasm Soldiers :: Off Topic-
Jump to: