Valis Fantasm Soldiers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Valis Fantasm Soldiers

Fantasm Soldiers and Mighty Maidens UNITE!

HomePortalGallerySearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

IGN's Top 10 Renovation Games

Go down 
+2
Zalure
Silence the Fallen
6 posters
AuthorMessage
Silence the Fallen
Ordinary Soldier
Silence the Fallen

Male Number of posts : 30
Hobbies : Having an interest in things people around me don't :(
Registration date : 2008-06-02

IGN's Top 10 Renovation Games Empty
PostSubject: IGN's Top 10 Renovation Games   IGN's Top 10 Renovation Games Icon_minitimeFri 20 Jun 2008, 5:54 am

I thought you all might enjoy reading this. IGN's Retro section just wrote up an article about the top 10 Rennovation games on the Genesis.

Although I never would have included Sol-Deace\Sol-Feace on the list as I think it's a terrible game. I pretty much agree with everything else on there. It's nice to know that Rennovation is still getting love from even the "big" guys. happy

LOL... Sorry, I was dead tired when I posted... Here http://retro.ign.com/articles/882/882363p1.html is the link!

Last edited by Silence the Fallen on Fri 20 Jun 2008, 12:23 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
http://www.digitpress.com
Zalure
Daydreaming Soldier
Zalure

Number of posts : 51
Registration date : 2007-09-29

PostSubject: Re: IGN's Top 10 Renovation Games   IGN's Top 10 Renovation Games Icon_minitimeFri 20 Jun 2008, 10:39 am

Link?
Back to top Go down
Silent_Protagonist
Admin
Silent_Protagonist

Number of posts : 114
Registration date : 2007-07-08

PostSubject: Re: IGN's Top 10 Renovation Games   IGN's Top 10 Renovation Games Icon_minitimeFri 20 Jun 2008, 6:50 pm

Zelda. Razz

On topic: Ys III is a Renovation game!?!?
Back to top Go down
Silence the Fallen
Ordinary Soldier
Silence the Fallen

Male Number of posts : 30
Hobbies : Having an interest in things people around me don't :(
Registration date : 2008-06-02

PostSubject: Re: IGN's Top 10 Renovation Games   IGN's Top 10 Renovation Games Icon_minitimeFri 20 Jun 2008, 10:09 pm

Silent_Protagonist wrote:
On topic: Ys III is a Renovation game!?!?

Yep. The original, of course, was made by Falcom and Renovation brought the Genesis version stateside and Sammy USA brought the Snes version stateside.
Back to top Go down
http://www.digitpress.com
betaflex1
Vecanti Soldier
betaflex1

Male Number of posts : 94
Hobbies : Blowing stuff up, female leads, obscure/less-known games, DOOM
Registration date : 2008-05-09

PostSubject: Re: IGN's Top 10 Renovation Games   IGN's Top 10 Renovation Games Icon_minitimeSat 21 Jun 2008, 5:03 am

Interesting... I've already picked out a couple games I'm familiar with from that list.
I could also recommend Gain Ground, with little preference as to Turbo CD vs Genesis. I thought the TCD lacked the flair it could've had (since it could've easily fit animated cutscenes) but nonetheless a great game of strategy and action.
Glad to see El Viento made the cut on the list. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/user/betaflex1
iannafei
Valis Fantasm Soldier (Armor: Level 1)
iannafei

Female Number of posts : 174
Registration date : 2008-04-23

PostSubject: Re: IGN's Top 10 Renovation Games   IGN's Top 10 Renovation Games Icon_minitimeMon 23 Jun 2008, 1:41 am

Here's my opinions of this article:

<<10 Sol-Deace>>

I don't remember much of this SHUMP game, but I'm certain the Sega CD version was probably much better. ^^;

<<09 Valis III>>

Frankly, this should have been higher on the list. Sure, it lacked the levels
Spoiler:
that the Turbo Duo version had, but it didn't have the horrible English VAs. They also had most of the cinematics that the Duo version had, unlike the Genesis version of Valis 1.

<<08 Arcus Odyssey>>

This should have been above Exile IMO, since it was much easier to play Action RPG-wise. Plus it's also a 2-player game. It is also the only Arcus game to make it to American shores.

<<07 Exile>>

Didn't get too far in this game. Too hard (or at least, when I played it long ago...I might do better at it today).

<<06 Whip Rush>>

Never played this one. Frankly, though, Arrow Flash should have probably replaced this. ^^;

<<05 Gain Ground>>

Yes, this is actually made by Sega, but I forgot Renovation originally published the Genesis version of this. Good game. Basically a "Thinking Person's" Gauntlet, since you've got to plan out a strategy to get through the stages.

<<04 Ys III: Wanderers from Ys>>

Again, this wasn't originally a Telenet title (actually a Falcom title). I also liked the SNES version over this one (and the Turbo Duo over that one). The American box art was also bad too (I mean...they made Adol look like a girl!)

<<03 Gaiares>>

Great shooter, although now that I think back...it kinda reminded me of R-Type a little. The anime style was pretty good.

<<02 El Viento>>

I'm surprised this is higher than Valis 3, but this was a good game. It was better than Earnest Evans as well. Plus you got to love that giant octopus boss. affraid

<<01 Master of Monsters>>

I'm surprised this was ranked one, but I really liked this strategy game. Probably one of the best Genesis strategy games (not counting the ones on the Sega CD, that is ^_~).

Anyway, those are my thoughts.
Back to top Go down
http://mvgaea.livejournal.com
betaflex1
Vecanti Soldier
betaflex1

Male Number of posts : 94
Hobbies : Blowing stuff up, female leads, obscure/less-known games, DOOM
Registration date : 2008-05-09

PostSubject: Re: IGN's Top 10 Renovation Games   IGN's Top 10 Renovation Games Icon_minitimeMon 23 Jun 2008, 3:39 am

iannafei wrote:
They also had most of the cinematics that the Duo version had, unlike the Genesis version of Valis 1.
Hm... I never noticed this with the Genesis version of Valis 1 (prolly 'cause the text took too long to display itself heh-heh ). Could be due to the improvements on the game engine and cinematics from Valis 4 to Valis 1 (which came after Valis 4 >_>). Given the limitation of cartridges, Renovation probably could not support as much in cutscenes with Valis 1 as the programmers did with Valis 3.

It could also be that TCD Valis 1 came a few months after GEN Valis 1, whereas TCD Valis 3 came six months before GEN Valis 3 (which could explain why Valis 3 had more Duo cinematics than Valis 1). While Renovation could work more with the Duo version to include more of its cutscenes since the Duo version was released first, the lack of a release of the Duo version to Valis 1 before the GEN release of Valis 1 could explain the disparity between GEN Valis 1 cinematics and Duo Valis 1 cinematics. IMO, I think this explains why Valis 3 has more Duo scenes than Valis 1. fear
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/user/betaflex1
iannafei
Valis Fantasm Soldier (Armor: Level 1)
iannafei

Female Number of posts : 174
Registration date : 2008-04-23

PostSubject: Re: IGN's Top 10 Renovation Games   IGN's Top 10 Renovation Games Icon_minitimeMon 23 Jun 2008, 4:11 am

betaflex1 wrote:
iannafei wrote:
They also had most of the cinematics that the Duo version had, unlike the Genesis version of Valis 1.
Hm... I never noticed this with the Genesis version of Valis 1 (prolly 'cause the text took too long to display itself heh-heh ). Could be due to the improvements on the game engine and cinematics from Valis 4 to Valis 1 (which came after Valis 4 >_>). Given the limitation of cartridges, Renovation probably could not support as much in cutscenes with Valis 1 as the programmers did with Valis 3.

It could also be that TCD Valis 1 came a few months after GEN Valis 1, whereas TCD Valis 3 came six months before GEN Valis 3 (which could explain why Valis 3 had more Duo cinematics than Valis 1). While Renovation could work more with the Duo version to include more of its cutscenes since the Duo version was released first, the lack of a release of the Duo version to Valis 1 before the GEN release of Valis 1 could explain the disparity between GEN Valis 1 cinematics and Duo Valis 1 cinematics. IMO, I think this explains why Valis 3 has more Duo scenes than Valis 1. fear

Hmm...you've got a good point. I should've thought that. lol!
Back to top Go down
http://mvgaea.livejournal.com
Reel
Ordinary Soldier
Reel

Number of posts : 38
Registration date : 2008-05-04

PostSubject: Re: IGN's Top 10 Renovation Games   IGN's Top 10 Renovation Games Icon_minitimeThu 03 Jul 2008, 5:27 am

El Viento is ranked up there pretty high, but if I think about it I can't disagree. The Valis games were pretty basic as far as gameplay, all you had to do was memorize patterns of the bosses.
Back to top Go down
http://www.google.com
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: IGN's Top 10 Renovation Games   IGN's Top 10 Renovation Games Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

IGN's Top 10 Renovation Games
Page 1 of 1