Valis Fantasm Soldiers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Valis Fantasm Soldiers

Fantasm Soldiers and Mighty Maidens UNITE!

HomePortalGallerySearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Japanese Valis II

Go down 
+4
XAhsoYuko
Valis
evilReiko
doctorx0079
8 posters
AuthorMessage
doctorx0079
Daydreaming Soldier
doctorx0079

Male Number of posts : 54
Job : to continue the great work of Valis
Hobbies : video games, ecchi anime and manga, POCKY
Registration date : 2009-03-20

Japanese Valis II Empty
PostSubject: Japanese Valis II   Japanese Valis II Icon_minitimeFri 05 Jun 2009, 1:06 am

Does anybody have the Japanese PC Engine CD version of Valis II? Does it exist? Why are all the videos I see from the US version?? In the US version it's like the actors have no idea what's happening. And of course the names are wrong. It's all about the VARIS sword now, yeah. Mad
Back to top Go down
evilReiko
Dark Valis Soldier
evilReiko

Male Number of posts : 1050
Hobbies : Escape..
Registration date : 2007-07-08

Japanese Valis II Empty
PostSubject: Re: Japanese Valis II   Japanese Valis II Icon_minitimeFri 05 Jun 2009, 2:59 am

if you're referring to this Valis 2, you're right, I've never seen the japanese version of it eh
Back to top Go down
http://www.evilreiko.com/
doctorx0079
Daydreaming Soldier
doctorx0079

Japanese Valis II Empty
PostSubject: Re: Japanese Valis II   Japanese Valis II Icon_minitimeFri 05 Jun 2009, 11:50 am

Found one on eBay. So the answer is yes, it exists. I may have to get it.
Back to top Go down
Valis
Administrator/Founder
Valis

Male Number of posts : 1025
Job : Dreamland
Hobbies : Gamer
Registration date : 2007-07-07

Japanese Valis II Empty
PostSubject: Re: Japanese Valis II   Japanese Valis II Icon_minitimeSat 06 Jun 2009, 10:42 am

doctorx0079 wrote:
And we have a stand alone version for download.
Back to top Go down
https://valisfantasmsoldiers.forumotion.com
doctorx0079
Daydreaming Soldier
doctorx0079

Japanese Valis II Empty
PostSubject: Re: Japanese Valis II   Japanese Valis II Icon_minitimeSat 06 Jun 2009, 2:04 pm

Valis77 wrote:
doctorx0079 wrote:

I got that, but it's the English one where they say "Varis" and "Varna".
Back to top Go down
Valis
Administrator/Founder
Valis

Japanese Valis II Empty
PostSubject: Re: Japanese Valis II   Japanese Valis II Icon_minitimeSat 06 Jun 2009, 2:13 pm

doctorx0079 wrote:
Valis77 wrote:
doctorx0079 wrote:

I got that, but it's the English one where they say "Varis" and "Varna".

LOL! True i wishe they added subtitles to the Japanese version that would be awsome.
Back to top Go down
doctorx0079
Daydreaming Soldier
doctorx0079

Japanese Valis II Empty
PostSubject: Re: Japanese Valis II   Japanese Valis II Icon_minitimeSat 06 Jun 2009, 2:44 pm

I want to find out how much better the acting is in the Japanese version and also if anything was edited out for the US version.
Back to top Go down
Valis
Administrator/Founder
Valis

Japanese Valis II Empty
PostSubject: Re: Japanese Valis II   Japanese Valis II Icon_minitimeSat 06 Jun 2009, 4:19 pm

doctorx0079 wrote:
I want to find out how much better the acting is in the Japanese version and also if anything was edited out for the US version.

i hate it when american version does that
Back to top Go down
doctorx0079
Daydreaming Soldier
doctorx0079

Japanese Valis II Empty
PostSubject: Re: Japanese Valis II   Japanese Valis II Icon_minitimeSat 06 Jun 2009, 5:11 pm

Valis77 wrote:
doctorx0079 wrote:

Those were the days before the ESRB. Today they would probably just slap the appropriate rating on it.
Back to top Go down
Valis
Administrator/Founder
Valis

Japanese Valis II Empty
PostSubject: Re: Japanese Valis II   Japanese Valis II Icon_minitimeSat 06 Jun 2009, 5:17 pm

doctorx0079 wrote:
Valis77 wrote:
doctorx0079 wrote:

Those were the days before the ESRB. Today they would probably just slap the appropriate rating on it.

yeah! made ols gamming really boring by doing that.
Back to top Go down
XAhsoYuko
Vecanti Soldier

Number of posts : 96

Japanese Valis II Empty
PostSubject: Re: Japanese Valis II   Japanese Valis II Icon_minitimeSat 13 Jun 2009, 10:00 pm

doctorx0079 wrote:
Does anybody have the Japanese PC Engine CD version of Valis II? Does it exist? Why are all the videos I see from the US version?? In the US version it's like the actors have no idea what's happening. And of course the names are wrong. It's all about the VARIS sword now, yeah. Mad

I don't understand how they can say VARIS. I mean, Cassandra Complex pronounces it VALIS https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dSdHdiJ1cpU
I have the PC-E version but since I have no knowledge of Japanese.....

The cover is much better than the TG-16 version. There...seems a bit old.
Back to top Go down
doctorx0079
Daydreaming Soldier
doctorx0079

Japanese Valis II Empty
PostSubject: Re: Japanese Valis II   Japanese Valis II Icon_minitimeSun 14 Jun 2009, 2:54 pm

XAhsoYuko wrote:
doctorx0079 wrote:

I don't understand how they can say VARIS. I mean, Cassandra Complex pronounces it VALIS https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dSdHdiJ1cpU

Probably just reading what the translator handed them. The translator wasn't sure whether to use L or R. And the actors had no clue what they were reading. They might not have even known it was for a game.
Back to top Go down
XAhsoYuko
Vecanti Soldier

Number of posts : 96

Japanese Valis II Empty
PostSubject: Re: Japanese Valis II   Japanese Valis II Icon_minitimeSun 14 Jun 2009, 3:43 pm

doctorx0079 wrote:
XAhsoYuko wrote:
doctorx0079 wrote:

Probably just reading what the translator handed them. The translator wasn't sure whether to use L or R. And the actors had no clue what they were reading. They might not have even known it was for a game.

I couldn't imagine the VAs' in those primitive times.
Back to top Go down
SuperDeadite
Daydreaming Soldier
SuperDeadite

Male Number of posts : 40
Registration date : 2008-11-05

Japanese Valis II Empty
PostSubject: Re: Japanese Valis II   Japanese Valis II Icon_minitimeMon 03 Aug 2009, 6:03 am

To a native Japanese speaker R=L there is no difference at all, they are one and the same. And as for Japanese VA quality, honestly it's not much better then the English cast. The majority of Japanese VA aren't very skilled, however you won't know the difference if you've never lived in Japan. People in the West tend to think the JP dialog in games is better, but this is just your mind and the old "grass is always greener on the other side" kind of thing.
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/user/superdeadite
doctorx0079
Daydreaming Soldier
doctorx0079

Japanese Valis II Empty
PostSubject: Re: Japanese Valis II   Japanese Valis II Icon_minitimeMon 03 Aug 2009, 11:37 am

SuperDeadite wrote:
To a native Japanese speaker R=L there is no difference at all, they are one and the same.

This is true, but the American VA's are not using that sound.

SuperDeadite wrote:
And as for Japanese VA quality, honestly it's not much better then the English cast. The majority of Japanese VA aren't very skilled, however you won't know the difference if you've never lived in Japan. People in the West tend to think the JP dialog in games is better, but this is just your mind and the old "grass is always greener on the other side" kind of thing.

The acting in jValis I is much better than the acting in eValis II. I don't know what they're saying but their acting is good. Yuko sounds like she should, Rogles sounds like an arrogant bad guy, Reiko cackles with gusto, etc., and I can tell what they are saying when they say Valis, Vecanta, Rogles etc. I am hoping jValis II also has good voice acting. But who knows. The fact is that a lot of the early CD games from 1990-1995 were voiced by non-actors or first-timers in the US, and it's very obvious, whereas a lot of times the Japanese version would use anime actors and they at least sound decent. If they had just used cartoon actors when they localized it like Peter Cullen, Tony Oliver etc. it wouldn't be a problem.
Back to top Go down
Valis
Administrator/Founder
Valis

Japanese Valis II Empty
PostSubject: Re: Japanese Valis II   Japanese Valis II Icon_minitimeMon 03 Aug 2009, 3:07 pm

If they hired more talented actors in a game no one cares about than yeah it can get reconition
Back to top Go down
doctorx0079
Daydreaming Soldier
doctorx0079

Japanese Valis II Empty
PostSubject: Re: Japanese Valis II   Japanese Valis II Icon_minitimeMon 03 Aug 2009, 7:16 pm

Valis77 wrote:
If they hired more talented actors in a game no one cares about than yeah it can get reconition

Well, the acting would be better. But would they have enough money to pay those guys? The company is after all taking a game that's already finished and then adding something else to it. Anyway I hope the Japanese version has better acting in this case.
Back to top Go down
RayguardKnight (SS7)
Valis Fantasm Soldier (Armor: Level 2)
RayguardKnight (SS7)

Male Number of posts : 286
Registration date : 2009-05-15

Japanese Valis II Empty
PostSubject: Re: Japanese Valis II   Japanese Valis II Icon_minitimeMon 03 Aug 2009, 11:24 pm

Alright, well, you made me curious so I tried the Japanese version today in an emulator... I uploaded a vid of the first stage to YouTube if anyone's interested: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tn7XAAgWIvc

All the video shows is the intro, the first stage, and the cut scene before the second stage. Sorry if my mouse was moving all over the screen during the cut scenes, I hope that doesn't make it too annoying to watch... It's ten minutes so you probably will want to skip the gameplay part.

BTW, this video is actually my first time ever playing Valis 2... Very Happy

Seriously, I discovered Valis only two years ago and until just recently I was under the impression that SD of Valis was the original Valis II... scratch

First time playing so I can't comment too much, but for the little I've seen (although I don't understand Japanese) the voices do sound a LITTLE better than the English version, even though I played BOTH versions TODAY for the first time... Still sounds like it might be a little corny though.

But yeah.

"The enemy, could it be the ROGUE-LESS?"

"But by sheer strength or cunning we must find some way to capture the sword of VIRUS!"

lol!
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/user/RayguardKnight
Shadow Blade
Valis Fantasm Soldier (Armor: Level 3)
Shadow Blade

Male Number of posts : 311
Job : What's a job?
Hobbies : Photoshop coloring and writting fics.
Registration date : 2008-02-11

Japanese Valis II Empty
PostSubject: Re: Japanese Valis II   Japanese Valis II Icon_minitimeMon 03 Aug 2009, 11:48 pm

Quote :
I was under the impression that SD of Valis was the original Valis II...

SD Valis/Syd of Valis is based on the original Valis II for PC-Egine but, there's "another history" behind the original Valis II for PC-88 and X68000...
Back to top Go down
http://valkyrie-project.deviantart.com
Valis
Administrator/Founder
Valis

Japanese Valis II Empty
PostSubject: Re: Japanese Valis II   Japanese Valis II Icon_minitimeTue 04 Aug 2009, 1:49 am

Valis II for PC-88 and X68000 Version are the original story
Back to top Go down
SuperDeadite
Daydreaming Soldier
SuperDeadite

Male Number of posts : 40
Registration date : 2008-11-05

Japanese Valis II Empty
PostSubject: Re: Japanese Valis II   Japanese Valis II Icon_minitimeTue 04 Aug 2009, 11:59 am

doctorx0079 wrote:
SuperDeadite wrote:
To a native Japanese speaker R=L there is no difference at all, they are one and the same.

This is true, but the American VA's are not using that sound.

SuperDeadite wrote:
And as for Japanese VA quality, honestly it's not much better then the English cast. The majority of Japanese VA aren't very skilled, however you won't know the difference if you've never lived in Japan. People in the West tend to think the JP dialog in games is better, but this is just your mind and the old "grass is always greener on the other side" kind of thing.

The acting in jValis I is much better than the acting in eValis II. I don't know what they're saying but their acting is good. Yuko sounds like she should, Rogles sounds like an arrogant bad guy, Reiko cackles with gusto, etc., and I can tell what they are saying when they say Valis, Vecanta, Rogles etc. I am hoping jValis II also has good voice acting. But who knows. The fact is that a lot of the early CD games from 1990-1995 were voiced by non-actors or first-timers in the US, and it's very obvious, whereas a lot of times the Japanese version would use anime actors and they at least sound decent. If they had just used cartoon actors when they localized it like Peter Cullen, Tony Oliver etc. it wouldn't be a problem.

See heers the issue, if you can't understand Japanese, how can you judge the quality of the acting? A lot of anime actors in Japan aren't any good either. If your only exposure to Japanese is anime and games, then you can't really compare it to real natural spoken Japanese. Meaning you don't really know the difference. I've been in Japan for almost 4 years, and no body talks like an anime character. There are some very talented Japanese VAs, but most aren't any better then English ones.
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/user/superdeadite
The Red Spectra
Valis Fantasm Soldier (Armor: Level 3)
The Red Spectra

Male Number of posts : 351
Job : Messenger/Clerk.
Hobbies : Music. Cats. Anime. Roller Derby. Retro Gaming.
Registration date : 2007-08-27

Japanese Valis II Empty
PostSubject: Re: Japanese Valis II   Japanese Valis II Icon_minitimeTue 04 Aug 2009, 12:48 pm

Valis77 wrote:
doctorx0079 wrote:

If you're going to censor something to death, why bother releasing it in the first place?

It's like when they were showing Evangelion on Toonami that one time years ago. They showed the first episode...it was like, 10 minutes long.
Back to top Go down
http://muchosugoi.blogspot.com
doctorx0079
Daydreaming Soldier
doctorx0079

Japanese Valis II Empty
PostSubject: Re: Japanese Valis II   Japanese Valis II Icon_minitimeTue 04 Aug 2009, 2:03 pm

SuperDeadite wrote:

See heers the issue, if you can't understand Japanese, how can you judge the quality of the acting? A lot of anime actors in Japan aren't any good either. If your only exposure to Japanese is anime and games, then you can't really compare it to real natural spoken Japanese. Meaning you don't really know the difference. I've been in Japan for almost 4 years, and no body talks like an anime character. There are some very talented Japanese VAs, but most aren't any better then English ones.

Like I said:

doctorx0079 wrote:

Yuko sounds like she should, Rogles sounds like an arrogant bad guy, Reiko cackles with gusto, etc., and I can tell what they are saying when they say Valis, Vecanta, Rogles etc.

Yes, I understand that the English voice actors in an anime are often better than the Japanese ones. The sub-only fanatics are nuts.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Japanese Valis II Empty
PostSubject: Re: Japanese Valis II   Japanese Valis II Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Japanese Valis II
Page 1 of 1